It is a rainy and rather dreary day here in Queens, I am stuck at work. I am dreaming a research trip or two.
I am at the point in some of my lines where I need a good old-fashioned boots on the ground research trip. I haven’t been to a library or an archive for my own research since about 2000 when I went to DC and visited NARA and the DAR Library. I decided today would be a perfect time to list some places I want to go and some research I want to do.
I understand family search has some of the probate records for NYS but I always feel the actual packets may be better than what is listed in the books. Also I swear some of my family was completely left out of the will books. (It may be wishful thinking on my part.)
- Day trip to Brooklyn, NY to hit up Canarsie Cemetery and Holy Cross Cemetery.
- Municipal Archives in NYC – would love to view the Coroners Report microfilm. Look at several death certificates and marriage certificates.
- Trip to Clinton County (I probably could spend a week or 2 here).
- Head to the probate court to review the entire David Weatherwax file.
- check to see if there is a packet for either Jacob or Mary Weatherwax.
- check for probate records for my Larkin family, Jehiel Beardsley.
- Visit the Baker Burying Ground, Gillaland Cemetery and Harkness Cemetery while I am in the area.
- A Trip to Essex County, NY to check on the probates of Beverly Beardsley who died in 1815, as well as the Beverly Beardsley who died in 1897. See if there are probate Packets for Benjamin Knowlton Coolidge, Obadiah Coolidge, Elijah Preston and both Abner Preston Sr. and Abner Preston Jr.
- A quick trip to Rensselaer County Probate Court for the entire Probate pack for Sarah Larkin Beardsley. This one I am rather curious about as Sarah died in 1886 and she predeceased her husband by about 30 years.
Eventually I would love to hit up the various libraries and historical societies but currently I need to be meaningful in my trips.
I would also love to head over to Oneida County to try to find the probate for Benjamin Knowlton and his wife Phebe Wright. I need to prove my Sarah Knowlton Coolidge is their daughter. I also need to find a marriage record for Obadiah Coolidge to Sarah Knowlton and that just might require a trip to New Hampshire.
I am dreaming of sunshine, summer days and the time to travel in New York.